Friday, September 9, 2011

Kickin' up your heels at a Ceili

If you had trouble with the word "ceili" in the title of this blog entry, then odds are you've never been to one. You have no idea what you've missed.

A Ceili, (prounounced cay-lee) or cĂ©ilidh (Scottish Gaelic) or ceilidh (Irish Gaelic) is a traditional Gaelic social gathering which usually involves playing Gaelic music and dancing. According to wikipedia, Ceili's originated in Ireland but they are now common across the UK, and I would venture to say...in communities across the US of A.

As best I can tell, the origination of the traditional Ceili's in Ireland served many purposes.
Typically they were held in a home as a social gathering. Leaving the isolation of their farms, Irish farmers and their broods would trek for miles for the chance to socialize. And of course the inevitable happened. Young Irish men and young Irish women would find romance under the spell of music, whiskey and the pull of the Irish moon. Ceili's soon became the event where girls were courted and marriage prospects considered. Who can resist a man in a kilt with a bodhran and a dirk? I know that's a tough one for me.


If you have no idea what I just said...stick with me. I'll explain.

I was pleasantly surprised to find during my trip to Ireland that Ceili's do in fact still exist in the old country.

To some extent, with the growth and inevitable migration to urban areas and the pubs that they bring...ceili's have become more rare. After all, why have a party in your house when you can just skip down to the local public house? In most pubs in Ireland I found traditional Irish music with dancing and boys and girls scoping each other out ...a ceili by any definition.

If you weren't sure what a ceili was, then you most certainly won't recognize the names of the traditional irish musical instruments that will be included at a ceili. The fiddle you will know. Also the flute. But the tin whistle (small flute) and bodhran (celtic drum) may make you scratch your head. Trust me when I say that all of these instruments, when combined, make a cheerful, lively tune - they don't even have to be played well...just loudly. Somehow it all works. Helped along by a good pint of course.

Speaking of not having to play well....some ceili's may include instruction on any of the above instruments. Recently I attended a ceili at Mac and Faye Perry's house in St. Petersburg Florida. Faye and Mac are legends in the Celtic community and know how to do it right. An invitation to the Perry Ceili is coveted and so when I received my Facebook invite from Mac I was thrilled. Both Faye and Mac are skilled musicians but it was Mac who offered bodhran lessons. And so I carted my newly-purchased bodhran from Ireland to Mac's to learn the basics of how to play this unique instrument.

Mac was sitting in front of a group of about 25 people who held either their own drum or a man-made board meant to replicate a bodhran. I had planned to quietly take my place amongst them, as the lesson had already begun. Mac wasn't having any of that..."oh hello Joyce'...(of course he was on a microphone so the entire group turned heads in unison to look at me)..."I see you have a bodhran. lovely....can someone get Joyce an instruction sheet? And we'll go back and start at the beginning for her."

Oh great. I was late AND I was causing the entire class to backtrack. Not a good way to endear yourself. 

As the lesson progressed, I found myself having a good time in my own little drum world. Looking around at the others, smiling, thinking "Hey, I'm pretty good at this." Then I hear Mac stop the lesson. "Joyce, WHAT are you doing?"....

I thought I was playing the bodhran. Apparently not.

After a few attempts to give me individual instruction in front of the entire class, he finally shook his head and said "I'll help you later."  Oh well. Everyone has their talents and apparently the bohdran is not mine. Still, the ceili was a blast and I can't remember a time when I had more fun.

In addition to music, a ceili can almost always include story telling. The Irish are well known for their spinning of yarns - so this is inevitable. It's true what they say about the Irish...they do have the gift of blarney and gab. It's charming. 

If you feel you've missed out by never having attended a ceili...the easiest way to rectify that is to find your way to a good Irish pub and belly up to the bar. I promise...you will tapping your feet in no time...and you will make a few new pals. And if you are looking for romance and the moon is full, well who knows what can happen?  

Oh....and I haven't given up on my bodhran. It hangs in a place of honor on my porch wall, patiently waiting for the next chance to humiliate myself in front of a group.

Slainte!


4 comments:

  1. Oh dear . . . was I that awful to you? It must have been the Meade. You were the guest of honor. How can I make it up to you? The least I can do is offer you a free one-on-one lesson at tippin' the bodhran. Tonight (9/9) several of us will will be at Horse and Jockey for jazz night. Tomorrow(9/10) we'll be at Bradenton Kilt Night. I'll bring a pair of Sudo-Brons both nights in case you show up. We'll find a little spot somewhere and I guarantee you'll be playing "Tell Me Ma" before we leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mac..you are a sweetie! That day was a blast and you were actually very kind - but I will take you up on the offer for a private lesson, just not this weekend. Flying north again to see me ma. I'll send you a note. Slainte!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 100% jealous. Lessons are hard to come by here in the Japanese countryside. No ceili round here either.

    ReplyDelete