Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Enter: The New World Celts of Dunedin

So.
About relationships.

One thing I know for certain about that- and that is this. There are absolutely no guarantees.

There may be a few exceptions to that blanket statement – such as a loyal, loving, stupid dog.  My dog is 11 years old and every day when I walk in the door he acts as though he can’t believe I came back. It’s the most amazing thing.

Children might be another exception. There are guarantees with kids – they need you to help them learn balance on their feet and on their bikes - guaranteed. They are guaranteed to lose the very teeth we were amazed to see appear just a few short years ago. They are guaranteed to cost you money and break your heart. And the best.....they are absolutely guaranteed to make you laugh out loud on a regular basis if you are paying close enough attention.

But in relationships of the opposite sex or of friends or family – there are absolutely no guarantees.

You are not guaranteed a date to the prom.
You are not guaranteed that someone will keep the promises they make.
You are not guaranteed that you won’t make a fool of yourself at least once in your life with someone of the opposite sex. In fact…that is a guarantee.
And as much as you want it – you are not guaranteed that the person you are sharing your heart with right now will be there this time next year. So lap it up.

And there are no guarantees of deep and lasting friendships.
No guarantees that people will just love you in your raw, natural “this is who I am” state for the rest of your life.

It would be great if when we were born, along with birth certificate came a “Certificate of Guarantee.” If I were given the opportunity to have just one guarantee presented to me in my lifetime –just one – it would be this. “Joyce is hereby guaranteed the gift of loyal, lasting, meaningful friendships for the rest of her life”

You may be wondering why I didn’t ask for a guarantee of health, wealth, love, etc.
Well here’s why.

With a guarantee of health, that would be great – but in my excellent health I would want someone to celebrate with me when we reach the peak of Mount Everest together.

In the case of wealth and the accumulation of “things”…again, what fun would jetting to the South of France be without honest friends to tell you how bad you look in the skimpy Marc Jacob dress or that the very cute Frenchman is not really attracted to your personality after all.

And in the case of love…well….if there were guarantees in love then where would the mystery be? Mystery is the best part of love after all.

Nope, I would want friends.

Friends that make me laugh and laugh with me. 
Friends that don’t ask questions when I don’t quite know the answers. 
Friends who don’t point out my flaws without sharing theirs. 
Friends that tell me I’m being stupid or petty when I need to hear it. 
Friends that show up at my door unexpectedly with a bottle of wine and their company because they know I need it. 
Friends who challenge me beyond my limits. 
Friends that don’t accept mediocrity in me. 
Friends that don't walk away when life dishes out ugly.
Friends that understand when I need silence and are content to be silent. 
Friends that appreciate my cynical humor. 
Friends that say I sing beautifully.
Friends that, when they don’t know what to say…say nothing.

I have been blessed to have friends like this in my life. Some I’ve had for over 20 years and some are newly acquired. 

It’s the newly acquired friends that have me totally stumped and astonished. I didn’t go looking for them, but rather stumbled upon them quite by accident. I didn’t anticipate that they would move into my heart so quickly. I didn’t anticipate they would accept me for just me.

And while there may not be any guarantees in friendship, for me – this group of friends brings all kinds of comfort that just a few months ago I really didn’t think existed.

And they are a group of characters. Each one unique and beautiful,  The Dunedin Celts of the New World. 


Love that you found me when I needed you.
Love that you included me with no questions or expectations.
Love that you love each other without boundaries or walls.
Love that you are my friends.
Love that in a life with very little guarantees in the way of relationships that I am guaranteed a place at your table.
Love that.
Mike and Scott standing guard for Celtic Women when they came to Clearwater


Anne and her Tara Tartan
Mary (President of Dunedin NWC) and Emmet

8 comments:

  1. I found friends in the New World Celts that were there all along waiting for me. Never have I felt like I fit in so well with a group of people so diverse yet so much alike.
    I was the kid that sat in the library with the chess club and dungeons and dragons kids at lunch because the jocks and cheerleaders had nothing to say. I'm still hanging with those dungeons and dragons kids. They just can buy better computers now. I heart them every one. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the diversity too Anne....thanks for posting! So glad I met you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What started out as thinking about joining a crazy bunch of Celts at he highland games became a family reunion of family you never knew you had! The NWC members/family are an awesome group of nuts! They/we are a family that occasionally may have a squabble or disagreement but if an outsider tried to hurt one of us, we'd all come out to kick some butt, then dry some tears, buy a pint to calm you down, make sure you got home afterwards, and tucked you in & gave you a hug & kiss before walking to the door & turning off the lights for you. This amazing group of people have changed our lives. The unquestioned love, loyalty, and support they have offered us with all of the ups and downs of life has been amazing! There have been a couple of times I don't know how I would have made it without their help, love, & support!

    Every family has a black sheep in it but our group takes pride in being a herd of individual black sheep. (if that makes any sense!) I am so glad you are now a member of my family JP!

    Barbe & Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Barbe! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done my friend. Love the blog - it is a beautiful background. I look forward to reading along your discovery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Long before I knew that I had Celt heritage, I was drawn to all things Celtic. Then, one day I went to a real Irish pub for a pint and met an interesting man (Rick Nory) who said "Well, you should come to a meeting and hang out with us for a while."
    At my first meeting, I walked to the table to spy the literature. A lady came over and made me feel welcome and my life has not been the same since. For the fist time I feel a part of a clan and this new family is all that you say and more. I would not trade a minute I have spent with my clan. A fellow member said it well when he told me..."Being in this group feels like going to a family reunion once a month." Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honestly admit I had not read your blog before, but I read this one, and will definetly read more. I love my Celt family, and wouldnt trade it for anything. Glad you're a part of us "black sheep" (good one Barb!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. New World Celts started 12 years ago in Dunedin, with a group of friends talking about their Celtic, mainly Irish and Scottish, Heritage and how they wanted to cultivate that. It really has grown into several larger circle of friends. I count myself so lucky that I have had so many become like family as well as friends.

    It is no surprise to me, that you Joyce feel so embraced by the group. The love and support through the lean times and the celebrations through the great times has been a pinnacle of my life too.

    As always Cead Mil Failte! - Mary

    ReplyDelete